About CaribbeanTales

Saturday, February 10, 2007

NourbeSe Phillip @ MPENZI - Feb 16th 2007

"Word Hammers", our Literature Alive documentary on poet, novelist, playwright, lawyer & activist NourbeSe Phillip will be just one of the films screened at the Mpenzi Black Women's International Film & Video Festival on Friday February 16th 2007.

NourbeSe will also be there, reading from her extraordinary work.

Here she is, the Master Worsdsmith, in conversation with Dr. Patricia Saunders of the University of Miami, talking about how practising the Law helped her to define her craft as an artist.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there:

Frances Anne thank you for all of this material on NourbeSe. I think she is absolutely remarkable, probably our foremost poet and yet we hear so little about her. It is unfortunate to me that the Canadian media has tended to overlook her and it is also unfortunate that she herself has somewhat retreated. Unfortunate for us, I mean and for black students, and also Canadian and black Canadian letters in general. I am very grateful to learn all I can about her. So thanks for this. I hope you are doing well. I am thinking of you. Keep up the marvellous work. You are a life line.

Do you think you could forward this note to NourbeSe for me? Or maybe I will look her up on my own.

Best
Donna

Anonymous said...

just listened to the youtube track you sent me - WONDERFUL - such a fine poet,
loved the way she pared language down to anguish! brilliant.
thanx